Frequently Asked Questions - Amicus Accounting - Corrections and Adjustments

Reversing entries in Amicus Small Firm Accounting is easy. Many of the posting programs have built in reversal functions so that all you must do is click Reverse and choose the entry to reverse. Firm Receipts, A/R Write-offs, Firm Checks, Trust Receipts, Trust Checks, and A/P Checks have built in reversal function. For Billing, use the Reverse Bills function.

In other posting programs, reverse an entry by entering a negative number. In these posting programs, ensure you use the same reference/check number or time/expense code as in the original entry.

Follow these steps if a check is cleared in error during a bank reconciliation and you need to put it back on your Outstanding Check List, or if a deposit is cleared in error during a bank reconciliation.

  1. Go to Month/Year End > Bank Reconciliation.
  2. Enter the bank G/L account number or select the bank account from the list.
  3. Enter the start and end dates for the G/L period in which the check or deposit was marked as cleared. For example, if the check or deposit was marked as cleared on last month's bank reconciliation, enter the start and end dates of last month.
  4. Click Clear Checks and Deposits. Cleared checks and deposits will display. Clear the checkbox beside the check or deposit that was cleared in error.
  5. Click Save. You do not need to save the bank reconciliation.
  1. The first thing to do is reverse the bill (which can be done if it has not been paid). For instructions, read the Help topic: Billing > Reverse Bills > Reversing bills posted in Billing.
  2. After reversing the bill, go back into the Create Bills function.
  3. Go to Bill Single Client tab; enter the date and Client number. Click Save to Draft Bills.
  4. Go to Draft Bills tab, click the Time button, and click Select/Deselect All to unmark all the transactions. Re-mark the transactions that you want to bill.
  5. Click the Expenses button and click Select/Deselect All to unmark all the transactions. Re-mark the transactions that you want to bill.
  6. Once the correct transactions are marked, click the Create Final Bill(s) button.
  7. Make sure that Post Bills and other desired options are selected. Click the Print button.

Reverse the check and repost it.

Reverse the incorrect entry using the same date as the original, and then re-post it correctly. For example, if you posted using a May date when it should have been posted in June, reverse the entry using the May date, and then repost it correctly. You must reverse it using the May date so that the net amount of the posting in May is zero (you will have a positive and a negative).
Use the A/R Write-offs program to reverse the write-off, and then post the firm receipt to record the payment.
First, re-open the File. The details posted prior to the File being closed will not be brought forward to the open File so you will not be able to reverse the write off. To reinstate the Accounts Receivable, repost the bill that you have received payment for. Posting the bill has the same affect on the Accounts Receivable as does reversing the write-off - both transactions increase the Client's A/R balance. Then, post the receipt. This will bring the File back to a zero balance.

Depending on your accounting method, some or all of the accounts listed on the System/File Balance report are control accounts, and are used to reconcile the Client sub ledgers to the General Ledger. It is incorrect to adjust the balance in your control accounts by posting journal entries because journal entries don't affect Client Files. Work in progress (WIP), A/R and Trust cannot exist without being associated with Client Files.

Therefore, your System/File Balance report will go out of balance if you post journal entries to the General Ledger accounts listed on it (unless your System/File Balance is already out of balance as result of a hardware failure or other system error).

To correct your System/File Balance, reverse the journal entries and then determine the Client Files the adjustment relates to. You might need to discuss this with your accountant. Then post the adjustment to one or more Client Files using the applicable posting program.

If the adjustment is interest on a trust bank accounts unrelated to a Client File, set up a "dummy" Client File specifically for this purpose and post the interest to this File using the Trust Receipts posting function.

Use the Modify Check Layout screen to modify the alignment of the fields on the check stub, body and second stub. Each item of information that prints on the checks corresponds to a field on the check report form. Each field can be moved around on the report form. You might need to modify the layout of the fields if the checks don't align correctly with your pre-printed check forms. The check layout is divided into three sections - the first stub, the check body and the second stub. These sections are described below.

  1. Choose Expenses or Trust or Accounts Payable, Print Check Batches.
  2. Click Modify Check Layout.
  3. Click the field that you want to move and drag it to the new location within that section. For fine adjustments, you also click on the field and then use your arrow keys to move the field.
  4. Close the check report form by clicking the "X" Close button at the top right of the Modify Layout screen, and respond Yes when prompted to save your changes.
If necessary, you can restore the original check layout by clicking Restore Default Layout on the Print Check Batches screen.